Sunday, July 26, 2009

More on Dr. Shapiro's Visit

So, my last LFT study came out real good...
  • AST (SGOT) - 33 [10 - 40]
  • ALT (SGPT) - 132 [9 - 60]
  • Alkaline Phosphatase - 75 [40 - 115]
  • Bilirubin - 0.5 [0.2 - 1.2]
  • Iron 440 [250-425 U/L]
I think if I draw my blood today the numbers are now probably in the exceptable range.

So, got into a bit of an argument with Dr. Shapiro, on Bactrim and how the declining LFT pattern did not follow discontinuing of Bactrim. I was blunt and so was Dr. Shapiro. I had corrected Dr. Shapiro before when he assumed that Cytoxan was discontinued after the LFTs had started dropping and not before it. He was much relieved to know that. This time around his analysis did not seem right either and i am a tad bit concerned. He said LFTs were in a declining pattern because of bactrim. How can that be? The data that I had suggested otherwise. I came back home and plotted a graph to convince my self. Here's it... (click on the picture to blow it up)
I will fax it to him...

Anyways the infusion was ordered and scheduled for the next day. I had bled during a sinus rinse right before the infusion, and none after it. The next morning i felt real peachy :). Felt a lot hyper, but that was the 1g prednisone doing that to me. I don't feel the head cold anymore either. Well so far so good... More for next when I have an update...

3 comments:

  1. Did u fax the graph? What did the doc have to say? Good job in being vigilent; No harm in questioning the doc. If the doc gets angry then maybe the doc is defensive and has some incomplete info. Always check out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well... thinking more on this... I decided not to rub it on him. I need him more than he does me. Besides I do respect him and his expertise. I think I have argued with him enough to make my point. So hopefully this does not happen again. But nevertheless I need to stay on top of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay! Good for you! You are getting better.
    Keep it up and show Wegener who's boss!

    Love ya Dad
    ~Dolly~

    ReplyDelete